Transportation Functions of the Comprehensive Planning Section
One of the functions of the Comprehensive Planning Division is to work on different aspects of transportation planning for the City, including to:
- Administer the Transportation Element of the City’s Comprehensive Plan. This includes interpreting provisions of the Element, implementing its policies, and processing amendments to the Element.
- Provide technical assistance on transportation planning to City officials, the general public, special interest groups and other agencies.
- Derive and develop transportation policies, programs, codes, and services to further the City’s Transportation Vision.
- Draft transportation policies and related codes.
- Assist in the implementation of the City’s Transportation Management Initiative (TMI), which seeks to manage congestion by encouraging commuters to consider alternative transportation modes, through coordination with the South Florida Commuter Services (SFCS).
- Utilize transportation and planning principles in conducting studies and research to develop and update elements of the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Show and maintain leadership through liaison, communication, research and work with other departments, community groups, levels of government, local to national organizations, and the general public.
- Represent the City on various transportation and related boards and committees and at transportation related meetings.
City of West Palm Beach Transportation Management Initiative: http://www.wpbtmi.org