Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What services are currently billed on a monthly basis to active accounts?

  1. Water Usage & Service Charge
  2. Wastewater Usage & Service Charge
  3. Sanitation Service & Recycling
  4. Stormwater Management
  5. Applicable Utility tax

Upon activation of the water service, a one time non-refundable service initiation fee is charged.

Why do I still have to pay a monthly fee even though my services are not being used or the account has been closed?

Service Charges for water, wastewater and stormwater are necessary to recover the on-going expenses required to keep service available to your property.

Are all customers required to pay a deposit?

Yes. Deposits are required from every customer except governmental entities.
Multi-residential and commercial deposits are guaranteed payment of the final bill and are therefore retained by the City until the account is closed.
Single family residential deposits may be billed and are due with the first monthly statement.
All commercial deposits must be paid in advance before service is connected.
Minimum deposits are set per most current resolution

When will I get my utility deposit back?

Single Family Residential Accounts – Payments received on or before the due date for 12 consecutive months will have its deposit credited to the utility bill per Resolution 288-04.

Multi-family residential and commercial Accounts – Deposits are returned only when service is discontinued. Deposits will be applied to the final bill and the remaining balance, if any, will be refunded by check in the account holder’s name.

When is my utility payment due?

Utility accounts are billed monthly and due upon receipt and past due 21 days after which it is billed. Monthly remittance may be mailed in for posting. However, if water disconnection has occurred for delinquent bills, payments must be made at City Hall, over the telephone or the internet via your credit card or checking account in order to restore service as quickly as possible.
All payments must be payable to the City of West Palm Beach. Field representatives do NOT accept any payments.
Late Payment fees shall be charged and imposed on all accounts which are delinquent in the payment of their monthly utility bill, where payment has not been received within 21 days of the date of the bill.
Reminder letters are automatically generated and mailed to the customer if payment is not received by the due date stated on the bill.
Three late payments within a 12 month period will require a new deposit to be billed for all accounts that do not have deposits on record.

How can I pay my utility bill?

Payments may be made:

When paying my utility bill over the WEB or on the telephone, how long will it take before the payment is posted?

All payments are posted with 24 hours

Can I set up Auto Payments

Yes. Please click on the link below for further instructions. If you have any questions, please contact a Customer Service Representative at 561-822-1300.

When my water is turned off, why do I have to pay the total bill before the current charges are due?

Answer: City Ordinance states that after the water is turned off, all outstanding utility charges must be paid before service can be restored. In addition, there is a service charge for every trip we make to turn your service on or off, which accumulates on the account.

Is there a charge to re-read a meter?

Answer: Yes, upon request from the customer, the City shall re-read the customer’s water meter to determine if the reading in question is accurate. If the initial meter reading was found to be accurate, the customer shall be charged for the meter re-reading according to the City’s resolution then in effect. However, if the reading was found to be inaccurate, there shall be no charge.

If I have an emergency after normal working hours what do I do?

Answer: You may call (561) 822-2210 for assistance. There will be a charge for after hour services.

How can I change the name on my account?

The procedure varies with the reason for the name change:

  1. If the last name on the account is your maiden name or a name from a previous marriage, submit your request along with a copy of your marriage certificate.
  2. If the name on the account is your former spouse’s, you and your former spouse must submit a notarized letter stating that you both agree to the change and the former spouse will give up any claim on the deposit.
  3. If a spouse is deceased, the surviving spouse may submit a request for a FIRST name change only along with a copy of the death certificate. Changing the name from one customer to another, excluding the above requires the payment of a new deposit.

What is the City’s responsibility regarding repairing leaks at the water meter?

The City of West Palm Beach is responsible for the repair of leaks on the street side of the meter. Any pipe repairs and consumption charges that result from damages on the consumer side of the meter are the responsibility of the property owner.

Paperless e-Billing

Why is the City of West Palm Beach offering paperless billing?

Many customers have requested the option to receive their bills electronically and the City of West Palm Beach is determined to meet those needs in serving both the community & the environment.

How do I sign up for paperless billing?

You must have an online profile to participate in Paperless e-Billing. Login to your profile, locate the “Paperless Billing” link in the “Customer Tools” section of the Main Account screen. Clicking on the “Paperless e-Billing” link will provide you with an overview of your account. If the information provided is correct, click on the Opt In/Opt Out button. You will receive a confirmation e-mail message. The e-Billing process can take up to two billing cycles before you stop receiving paper bills in the mail.

Login or Create an Online Profile

Does the City of West palm Beach charge for paperless billing?

No, that’s the great thing, this service is free!

My email address has changed, how can I get my billing notifications at my new email address?

Login to your online profile, click on “Manage Profile”, select the “Change e-mail address” option and enter your new e-mail address. If you registered for paperless billing you’ll need to update your contact information.

Keeping your email address current with us is very important; you will be responsible for paying your bill each month, even if your email information has changed.

I have forgotten my username and/or password. What should I do?

Click the “Forgot My Password” and follow the on-screen instructions.

Why should I go paperless?

  • It’s the environmentally friendly choice
  • No chance of bills getting “lost” in the mail
  • Bills are available sooner
  • Convenience

I just signed up for paperless billing… What happens next?

You will receive an email confirming your request has been completed. If you do not receive this email, please check that your email address is correct or check your spam folder.

It may take up to 2 billing cycles to complete your request, but your paper bill will be mailed in the meantime.

I like reading the Mayors Newsletter. How can I get a copy of the letter if I no longer receive a paper bill?

Now that you are paperless, you will be able to view the Mayors Newsletter online at Please take advantage of our calendar of events. Information on all current city and future activities will be posted.

Can I still sign up for auto-pay?

YES, please print and complete the auto-pay authorization form, mail it along with a voided check to City of WPB, PO Box 3506, West Palm Beach, FL 33402 or bring them to our office @ 401 Clematis St, West Palm Beach Fl, 33401.

How will I receive shut off notices?

You will continue to receive a paper notice in the mail…as well as a notice on your following bill.

Important Notices

Fighting Fraud Notice: Red Flags Rule

In 2011 the City of West Palm Beach Public Utilities Department implemented a Identify Theft Program pursuant to the Federal Trade Commission’s Red Flags Rule, which implements Section 114 of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (16 CFR. § 681.2.)

In compliance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, the City of West Palm Beach will only allow established applicant(s) to make changes to and billing inquiries on their utility account.

Important Public Record Notice

As a public entity, the City of West Palm Beach must respond to public record requests, including listings of all utilities customers and their addresses. Under Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes, some individuals may be eligible to be exempt from public records requests. Please read and follow the instruction and return the following document notarized to the Department of Public Utilities. Public Records Exemption Qualification

Please include all pertinent information, including the full first and last name, full address, including apartment number and the utility account number. If additional lines are needed, please use an additional piece of paper. A notarized letter stating the exemption, the names of all exempted persons, the account numbers and service addresses associated with this exemption must also be included.

If this applies, please mail your request to the attention of the Customer Service Supervisor, P.O. Box 3506, West Palm Beach, Florida 33402.

Social Security Disclosure

Pursuant to section 119.071(5)(A)2, Florida Statutes, a social security number is being requested for one or more of the following purposes:

  • Classification of accounts
  • Identification and verification
  • Credit worthiness
  • Billing and payments
  • Data collection
  • Reconciliation
  • Tracking
  • Benefit processing
  • Tax reporting or income reporting

Social Security numbers are also used as a unique numeric identifier and may be used for identification and search purposes. Social Security numbers may be used for one or more of these purposes or any other legal purpose necessary to the City.