FREE VITA Tax Preparation service is only available if you earned less than $51,000 in 2012. You may be able to get Earned Income Tax Credit up to $5,751.
Free Tax Preparation is offered by trained volunteer tax preparers thru a partnership with United Way and the Internal Revenue Service. Beginning January 22nd thru April 15th, 2013.
(Spanish Translation Assistance at both Vickers House locations.)
Schedule for Both Vickers House Locations:
Vickers House South Tel. (561) 804-4975
3801 Georgia Avenue West Palm Beach, 33405
Tuesday through Thursday From 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Saturday From 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
Vickers House North Tel. (561) 804-4970
811 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. West Palm Beach, 33401
Monday and Wednesday From 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Friday From 9:30 AM to 2:00 PM
Who qualifies for free tax preparation through VITA?
Households with a gross income of $51,000 or less in 2012.
No payment can be solicited or required for free tax preparation services
What services and forms will VITA complete?
- Schedule A (itemized deductions)
- Form C-EZ
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Education Tax Credit
- First-time Homebuyer Credit
- Schedule C (business income with expenses up to $5,000 if the taxpayer meet all of the criteria for Schedule C-EZ)
What services and forms will VITA NOT DO?
- Income from the sale of a home or business
- Income from rental property
Will VITA file taxes for someone with a 1099?
Yes, but not from sale of stocks.
Will VITA file taxes for someone who is paid in cash?
Yes, if they have kept a record of the cash payments they have received for work.
Will VITA file income taxes for illegal immigrants?
Yes, but they will need to have or apply for an I-TIN number.
Tax Year 2012 EIC Income and Investment Limitations
To qualify, taxpayers must meet certain eligibility rules and file a tax return, even if they are not otherwise required to file a tax return
For tax year 2012 the maximum EITC credits are:
- $5,891 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,236 with two qualifying children
- $3,169 with one qualifying child
- $475 with no qualifying children
To be eligible for a full or partial credit, the taxpayer must have earned income of at least $1 but less than:
- $45,060 ($50,270 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children;
- $41,952 ($47,162 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
- $36,920 ($42,130 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
- $13,980 ($19,190 if married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
Adjusted Gross Income
The taxpayer’s adjusted gross income (AGI) must also be less than the above dollar amounts
Taxpayers whose investment income is more than $3,200 cannot claim the EITC