City of West Palm Beach, FL
West Palm Beach Government
The City of West Palm Beach partners with its communities to preserve and enhance quality of life through an extraordinary focus on service. Since 1991, West Palm Beach has operated under a strong Mayor form of government. The Mayor is responsible for running the affairs of the City with the legislative authority of a five member City Commission.
The City Administrator provides leadership and administrative support to the Mayor in the administration and execution of the City’s policies and strategic objectives, and leads in the development of solutions to address the needs of the community, businesses and visitors.
The City of West Palm Beach is the largest city in Palm Beach County and serves as the county seat and regional hub for employment, business and entertainment. The City has 1,699 full time employees, a general fund budget of $194.6 million and total budget of $504 million. All but approximately 200 of the City’s employees are represented by one of five collective bargaining units.
The City Administrator performs such administrative and executive duties as assigned by the Mayor and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the City. The incumbent in this position provides leadership to implement City goals and policies that are aligned with the City’s strategic objectives.
The City Administrator:
- Oversees the preparation and submission of the City’s annual budget and provides direction on its administration.
- Directs Assistant City Administrators in their review and evaluation of departmental budgets to ensure their alignment with City objectives.
- Provides guidance and direction to senior management in formulating and executing administrative policies and procedures and setting goals and priorities for their respective areas of supervision.
- Initiates and carries through to completion special programs and projects as directed by the Mayor.
- Represents the City on various boards and committees as designated by the Mayor.
- Serves as liaison to the City Commission.
- Coordinates the activities of all departments, divisions and agencies.
The Ideal Candidate
In evaluating applicants for this position the City will be looking for candidates who have the following characteristics and competencies:
- A strong service ethic, desire for a long term relationship with the City and a highly professional approach to problem solving.
- Knowledge of City, federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and ordinances pertaining to the finance, organization and operation of a City government.
- Knowledge of management and administration practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget development, monitoring and administration.
- Skills in motivating and developing team building within diverse departments.
- Written and oral communication skills in developing management level reports and presentations.
- Skill in developing and implementing programs, policies and procedures.
- Skill in prioritizing and managing multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to build consensus with the community to achieve common goals and objectives.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Education And Experience
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field. Ten (10) years of progressively responsible executive managerial, budget, and finance experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Related Master’s degree and public sector experience is highly desirable.
A State of Florida valid driver’s license, required. A valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of appointment.
Residency Requirement: As per City of West Palm Beach Charter, Article III, Section 3.03, “When appointed, the city administrator need not be a resident of the city, but during tenure of office the city administrator shall reside within the city.”
Compensation And Benefits
Depending on qualifications, the salary range for this position is: $174,303 - $261,454.
The City of West Palm Beach’s current benefits package includes:
- Health, Dental and vision Insurance, and an Employee & Family Health Center with no co-pays. (visit www.cityfitmd.com for more information)
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Defined Compensation 401(a) Plan with a 6.5% City match.
- $250,000 in Life Insurance
- Car allowance of $500 per month or a City vehicle.
- Eleven Paid Holidays
- Vacation/Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Four Days of Management Leave per Year
- Flexible spending accounts
- Relocation expenses
The selection process for this position may consist of any, all or a combination of the following: evaluation of training and experience, written examination, structured oral interview or other assessment method.
How To Apply
Applicants must complete a City of West Palm Beach on-line application. Please include cover letter, resume, and salary history as part of your application.
Apply on-line using the City of West Palm Beach Employment site
For more information contact:
Sylvia C. Gregory, PHR
Assistant Director of Human Resources
Department of Human Resources
401 Clematis Street, 3rd Floor
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Direct line: 561-494-1021
Applicants should be aware that applications in Florida become a matter of public record. Veterans' preference will be given in accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes for those who meet the minimum requirements of the position. A Background investigation and physical screening is required as a condition of employment.
The City of West Palm Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer