Memorial located in Currie Park to receive wall, fountain, lighting, and security upgrades.
WEST PALM BEACH, FLA (March 12, 2019) –
Improvements are planned for the City of West Palm Beach Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Wall in Currie Park, located east of North Flagler Drive between Piccadilly and Butler Streets. The memorial, completed in 2004, is the largest Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial south of Atlanta, Georgia. City Commissioners unanimously approved funding for the upgrades on March 11, 2019.
The improvements include the:
- Repair/replacement of the fountain;
- Replacement of the granite slabs to improve visibility;
- Removal of the secondary wall to open the view to the Intracoastal;
- Relocation of Dr. King’s inscribed writings to a more prominent location on the memorial;
- Additional lighting features for safety and security.
Construction of the first, large scale design improvements is scheduled to begin in July 2019. The improvements are the result of collaboration with residents and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Coordinating Committee, Inc. which provided input requesting features unique to the memorial. Construction is expected to span four months.
For more information on the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial and Currie Park, please visit: https://wpb.org/cityfun/locations/currie-commons-and-park/