WEST PALM BEACH GREENMARKET : FACTS
The GreenMarket begins its 24th season Saturday,October 6,2018.
The West Palm Beach GreenMarket is produced by the City of West Palm Beach Department of Parks and Recreation, Community Events, and will run weekly through Saturday, April 20, 2019, except for Saturday, March 30, 2019, due to the Palm Beach International Boat Show.
- The mission of the West Palm Beach GreenMarket is to provide the community with seasonal access to locally grown fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, plants and agricultural products. The market supports the southeast Florida agricultural community and stimulates agricultural development, particularly in Palm Beach County, by providing an outlet for locally grown crops and specialty products.
- This year’s theme is “We PRODUCE Fun for Everyone,” which can be felt in all of the activities and things to do beyond the vendors. In addition to the local vendors, the GreenMarket also features: live music, unlimited mimosas for $10, free activities for kids, and plentiful green space and seating, which creates a morning full of fun and relaxation. Additionally, on the third Saturdays of the month, starting in November, visitors can take advantage of “By the Banyan” walking tours, which point out key historical locations throughout the downtown community. In conjunction with the Richard and Pat Johnson Palm Beach County History Museum, the tours are led by local architect and historian, Rick Gonzalez, and start by the large banyan tree on North Clematis Street. Tickets are $10.
- This year’s GreenMarket is going greener. It was announced that the GreenMarket is eliminating plastic straws, coffee stirrers and Styrofoam cups and containers this season and beyond. The initiative, which is a collaboration between the Parks and Recreation Department and the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability, will make a measurable mark on the City’s efforts to enhance the viability of West Palm Beach as a modern model of healthy, environmentally progressive, ecologically sustainable and resilient urban living. In addition, the City is encouraging vendors to eliminate single-use plastic bags, such as grocery-style bags, and suggesting patrons arrive by way of the City’s popular and free trolleys.
- To make an even farther-reaching green impact, the City is also planning to give away more than 5,000 metal straws starting on opening day. The promotion aims to encourage GreenMarket patrons to continue sustainable practices once they leave the Market, thereby spreading sustainability throughout the entire Palm Beach County community.
- This year has more than 90 vendors.
- Martha Stewart herself has even visited!
- The West Palm Beach GreenMarket has received national attention, including from the Boston Globe (earlier this year) and it was named the number one GreenMarket in Florida by Cooking Light magazine
- Opening-day-only fun includes:
- An opening day ceremony, the “Ready, Set, Grow” produce race at 9:45 a.m., where actors will be dressed as asparagus, baked bread, peas, and more will be racing to the finish line.
- A “produce protest” throughout the day, with the produce actors chanting: “Bake Love, Not War,” “Give Peas a Chance,” and “This is the Age of the Asparagus.”
- How to get to the market (info on trolley/parking/by boat):
- As part of the City’s overall go greener initiative, arrive by way of the City’s fun, free and popular trolley. The Yellow Line has stops near the market.
- Parking: FREE in the Evernia/Olive Garage | $5 flat rate in the Banyan/Olive Garage
- By boat: take advantage of the City’s free public docks
- Special dates throughout the season include:
- Dog costume contest on October 27;
- Veterans Day recognition on November 10;
- Holiday entertainment on December 22;
- Salsa Saturday on January 19;
- The Strawberry Jam on February 9;
- Earth Day celebration on April 20.
- New vendors include: Aioli; BMORE crabcakes; Cocowatt; Eddie’s Dark Chocolate; Fresh Home Made; Holly’s Natural Products; Mi Casa Tu Casa; MONDEPICE; Naughty Nutty Love; NüGrub Vegan Products; Primordic; Soukie’s Spring Rolls, Bowls, & More; Strudel Z; and The Cheese Shoppe.
- Returning favorites include: Airblooms; ARTPIE; Bee Unique Everything Honey & More; Boston Chowda; Brucesghostpepperz.com LLC; Bubbly Boba; Bushdogs ; Celis Produce; Christy's Fresh Catch; Cider Doughnuts; Cottage Garden Teas; Danemilys flowers; Doctor Pickle; DOGDELI CANINE KITCHEN; Don Victorio's Market; Dreamallows; Farmhouse Tomatoes, Inc; Farriss Farm, LLC; Field of Greens; Florida Raw; Frik & Frak Foods; Gables Delight; GFoodZ; Good Dog Bakery; Gracie’s Greens; Gratitude Garden; HADAYA SPICE; Havana Restaurant; Heavenly Orchids; Icestasy; Importico's Bakery Café; J and J Seafood; Jerry's Here Farm Fresh; Joe's Herbs and Ornamentals; Joy's International Foods; La Montagne Des Savers; Laurel Orchids; Laurie's Pantry; Le Coin a Crepe; Le Petit Pain; Leila restaurant; Loic Bakery Cafe Bar; Love's Flowers/ Todd Baker wholesale; LOX FARMS; Macy's Smoked Fish & Dip; Makebs; Margie exotic plantscapes; Moonlight Radiance Artisan Market; Mosquito Mud Pottery; Mozzarita; Nisha's Flavors of India; OLIVE OIL OF THE WORLD; PASCALE'S LLC - THE DELRAY BEACH JAM COMPANY; Pasta Amore; Poke smash; Pumphouse Coffee Roasters; R & R Orchids, LLC; Rabbit Coffee Roasting Co; RAWMANTICCHOCOLATE; SANCTUARY EXOTIC TEA; Sassy Palate; Saturday Morning; Seaside Smoothie; Supernaturals LLC; Swank Specialty Produce, Inc.; SWFL Produce; Taspen's Organics; Taste and See Creations; The Ceviche and Guacamole House; The Gourmet Pickle Peddler; The Green Bar; The Purple Shrimp; The Three Plant Ladies of Homestead; TocToc Arepas; Trapical oasis; Turnstyles Woodturnings; Wet Nose Pantry; Wildflower Granola; and Wonders of Nature.
- GreenMarket sponsors-to-date include: Jupiter Medical Center, Land Rover Palm Beach, Jaguar Palm Beach, Hilton WPB, WIRK 103.1 FM, SUNNY 107.9, WPB Magazine, The Palm Beach Post, Palm Beach Daily News, Palm Beach Medical, WPB Marriott, Rhythm & Hues and JetRide.
- The GreenMarket takes place on the corner of Flagler Drive and North Clematis Street at 101 North Clematis Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33401. For more information about the West Palm Beach GreenMarket and other waterfront events, visit wpb.org/events, call 561-822-1515 or follow the City of West Palm Beach on Facebook @CityofWPB and on Twitter and Instagram @westpalmbch.